Monday, April 13, 2009

I Hate Making Decisions

"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure."
-- T-shirt slogan from Jack Astor's restaurant

One of my favorite movies to quote (though there are several!) is "You've Got Mail" from the late '90s. This morning, while sitting in the examination chair at the eye doctor's office, all I could think about was one of the lines from that movie:

The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for
people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino.
For some reason, that's how I felt about my eye exam this morning. Is 1 better? Or two? How about now? 1? 2? 1? 2?

Uh...can you show me again?

For someone who doesn't like to make decisions, that's a lot to figure out at once (at 8:00 in the morning, no less!). Thankfully, my contacts prescription really hasn't changed much over the past 3-5 years, so I guess I passed the "test." Yea for being able to see for another year!

2 comments:

VeggieAmanda said...

I feel the same way when I am taking an eye test. Sometime I just admit that I cannot tell which one looks better. Or sometimes I keep asking my eye Dr to show me them again and again

kareng said...

great job!, sometimes I guess...it is quite overwhelming!I can't remember after a while, which is better...