Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sew Much Fun?

I've blogged before about the old sewing machine lurking in my guest room closet. The machine is a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law and has been sitting in said closet for many months.... While my lofty dreams of creativity sparked the acquisition of the machine in the first place, my fear of the unknown kept it in hiding.

Until now.

About a month or so ago, a bit of furniture reorganization opened up a corner of our home office. It suddenly occurred to me that that corner would be the perfect place for a craft table. A short trip to Craigslist later, I now have a craft table and a place to actually put the sewing machine.

Sewing

Now for the real test. Can I figure out how to use it? It would appear that the jury is still out on that question. I mean, I've used a sewing machine before. I was in Girl Scouts, and I took home ec. and tech theatre....how hard could it be? Famous last words. It took a couple of Google searches and a visit to my friend Erica just to get the bobbin threaded.

I'd love to be able to show you the impressive fruits of my labor...but if you're expecting that, you're just going to have to wait longer. So far, this is all I've got.

Sewing

Impressive, huh?

No worries. I'll keep at it. My grandmother, aunt, and cousin are all excellent seamstresses...some of that's got to be genetic, right? Right?!?

I'll keep you posted!

"I catnap now and then, but I think while I nap, so
it's not a waste of time." -- Martha Stewart

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think the key to a good sewing hobby is being able to have your machine at the ready in a designated area any time you need it or feel it calling your name. Congratulations on breaking it out!

VeggieAmanda said...

Good luck with the machine. I think you will love it now that you have it out. Do I need to come over and show you how to use it?