Thursday, July 22, 2010

One-Yard Wonders....Take 1

For my birthday, my dear friend Diana gave me a fabulous sewing book called One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric! It's a great book with project ideas for creating things with, you guessed it, one yard of fabric.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try my first project from the book. I selected the folklore bag, which looked absolutely adorable in the picture! I've always had a weakness for cute bags, so I figured it was a good place to start.

I set off for the fabric store, ready to pick out my "home decor" weight fabric and get everything else I needed. After a lengthy conversation with the fabric cutter as to why my bill was estimated much higher than I expected it to be (reason: I had mistakenly told her that I wanted the entire rest of the bolt instead of just one yard. Yeah. Go me!), I felt I was ready to begin my adventure.

I suspect that my fabric store faux pas should have been my first indication that I might be getting a little ahead of sewing skills, but I decided to press on and give it a try. I soon encountered scary sewing words. Words like pattern. And interfacing. And bent needle (note to self: that home decor weight fabric I picked out requires a stronger needle).

In the end, I'm not thrilled with the results, but I think it was good practice. The bag was supposed to have a top panel all around the top. The top panel was part of what I really liked about the picture, but once I got to it, I wasn't sure how it was going to look with the bag I created (and, to be honest, I couldn't quite work out how I was going to attach it). So, this is what I ended up with. At the very least, the bag is functional and I do like the fabric. And, if all else fails, there's a lot more projects in my book that I want to try.

Purse outside

Purse outside

5 comments:

VeggieAmanda said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! I think the bag looks great! :-) I checked out the book on amazon and the projects look fun. I can't wait to see your other creations. I have been meaning to start some sewing projects. I need to get motivated!

Anonymous said...

Like a good many other things, what counts is that you did it. That's the important thing. Think of it as making a joyful noise. The rest will follow in time.

Beth said...

You're getting really good at these projects!! That bag looks great! I love the colors!

Diana said...

The bag is just awesome! Love, love, love that you are enjoying the book. :)

babyarnie said...

Ommm..... looks really good to me. I think I'd tell everyone it's suppose to look like it does. At least your really scary words don't start with SEW.(like mine do).