Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tis the Season

"Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children,
they are all 30 feet tall." --Larry Wilde

It would appear that Christmas time has arrived. Dave and I decorated our house last Friday, but the pictures are still on my camera, so this will have to do for now.

This is the (slightly sad looking) stuffed Christmas tree that adorns my desk at work. I've had the tree for a very long time -- I think I received it in a gift exchange in high school or possibly even middle school. Though certainly not the most beautiful decoration that I've ever owned, it is easily portable and virtually indestructible and has served as my own personal dose of Christmas cheer no matter where I have found myself around Christmas.

The Christmas that I spent in Bolivia, the little tree was the only Christmas tree that I had. I wrapped my gifts, stacked them in a pile, and placed the tree on top (you know, because presents are supposed to be under the tree!). My brother laughed when I packed the tree in my luggage that July, but come December, I was glad that I had it!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

This makes me think of a gift exchange that I think happened in like 6th or 7th grade at Garwood. I remember that I had the HUGEST crush on Austin Lane (that was his name, right?). Well, the present that I got (randomly) in the gift exchange was from him and it was a Christmas Santa mug full of Hershey kisses. I convinced myself that he intended that I should get the gift and was really trying to hint at something with me. How pathetic, looking back at the whole situation! I think that my mom and dad still have the mug!

babyarnie said...

I LOVE that tree. It's so vintage and vintage is very in!! Merry Christmas. Did you actually get the Grinch Dave to do some decorating??

Meredith said...

hee hee. Dave did good this year. He put lights up outside and helped me decorate the tree... :-)

VeggieAmanda said...

I love your tree! It is cute and cheery! I vaguely remember the gift exchange at Garwood. I had a huge crush on Austin during that time and would have been totally jealous if I knew you got his gift. How funny!

Carroll said...

That's great! There is no shame in a stuffed tree. We still have one that Shirley made the first year that they were married.

Rachael said...

I went to the Dollar General and bought a white pre-lit tree about that size for the office. Now I like to turn the office lights off and let it glow. Dollar General is the heat!

p.s.- I like your tree too. It's like the traveling gnome only...uh...it's a tree.