Monday, January 12, 2009

Library Love

I have a confession to make...I love going to the library. I know that probably makes me a dork, but I'm okay with that.

I am forever astounded at the amount of information and the resources that are available to us for FREE at the local library. In high school, our local library was a great place to do research for school papers, but it also had a large collection of VHS tapes (you know, pre-DVD days) and CDs available for check-out. Who needs to pay $3.99 at Blockbuster for a movie that you check out for free at the library?

In college, the library was "social central," as our three-story library was one of the main hubs of campus. The first floor of the library was a great place to find people you were looking for and catch up on the latest news. Thankfully, the upper two floors were quieter and more conducive to studying, paper writing, and napping (I took more than one nap on the cushy third-floor sofas!).

Now that I'm an adult (and paying my own bills!), I think I love the library even more. I love to read, but I hate to spend money on something that I'm going to read once and then leave on the shelf to collect dust. So I go to the library, where a wealth of knowledge (and some unexpected resources) are there waiting for me.

"It is impossible to enter a large library... without feeling an inward sensation of reverence, and without catching some sparks of noble emulation, from the mass of mind which is scattered around you."- James Crossley

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Girlfriend I LOVE the library too! so much that last May I finished my Masters in Library Science. :) It's one of the finest institutions in the world, don't you think?

VeggieAmanda said...

Count me on the dork list as well! I make regular trips to the library. I cannot see paying for some books, esp. if I do not know if I will like them, when I can get them for free at the library.

babyarnie said...

Hurray for the FREE library! I too have come to appreciate this wonderful service.